Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First time hoglet sighting Reply To: First time hoglet sighting

Hello everyone.
All advice completely understood. Mealworms and dried bugs are no more, unless they find them naturally. I’ll save those for the bird feeders, unless you also know about them being bad for birds. I’m going out tomorrow to get the hedgehog food but wet cat food has gone down tonight and also a plant saucer of freshened water and I’ve put a small ice cube in the water to cool it down a bit. We did that for our cats andand they seemed to love it!

Penny super excited you are in Bingham. I’m in Beeston, but I have a friend in Cropwell Butler who is part of a group in her/your area who are going out and putting out water etc where they know there are hedgehogs and badgers.

I work at the City Council, but I know some folk in planning in Notts (Rushcliffe) I’m not sure which district Bingham falls into, but if you let me know I can easily find out if the County Council has a highway plan, and encourage them if they don’t!

I’ll also tell the guys in our team about mealworms. They care desperately so I’ll have to break it to them gently that they’re wrong,.

The house I made has straw in it and I’ve put some around the outside too, in case it wants an outdoor nest while it’s hot. I usually leave a bit out for birds to use nesting anyway. There’s the bug hotel too and I’m also off to collect some logs this weekend in the hope of giving more things somewhere to live, so that there is some natural food for it. I’ve saved the details for the BHPS so if it does seem poorly in any way I will be straight on the phone. I have a cat carrier that is no longer in use for cats so my new pal will be able to hide away in there if it’s needed. Would love to know if it’s a boy or girl, but don’t mind either way, just incredibly happy it chose our garden.

I’m so glad to have found this forum. Is it too soon for a name? If it is it’s too bad, we’ve called it Tomsk, because it’s quite a fast mover very energetic just like it’s namesake womble 😀

Hedgehog