Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First time hoglet sighting Reply To: First time hoglet sighting

Nic

Hi Deeb74

I think the hog got a bit TOO close to the camera by the sound of things! It is more of a little lump on the males than a different colour. Probably similar in appearance to a nipple but bigger. Some people describe it as looking like a large belly-button, but mid abdomen, which is sort of the lower half of the underneath of a hog. It sounds as if you mainly saw the upper part which I would think of as the thorax. But, as you say, it may not have shown up if the glare was too bright anyway.

Sorry can’t help much re. the photos. I think you can put them on the photo bit from the home page, but I hear takes a while for them to appear. Otherwise, I understand, they have to be somewhere on the internet already.

You might have to wait until you see some behaviour. There is still a bit of ‘courting’ going on, so you might see that. The male is the one who circles the female as she keeps turning round in an apparent attempt to make sure he doesn’t get to her rear end. All the while she is ‘huffing’ – often quite noisily!

Hedgehog