Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First time hoglet sighting Reply To: First time hoglet sighting

Nic

Hi Deeb74

No I would definitely not check inside, just in case it was a female and she has babies. They are very sensitive and can abandon or, apparently even eat the babies if they are disturbed when they are very small.

It’s not a bad idea to leave water quite near the house, but best not to leave food too close, as it may attract unwanted visitors – in case there are babies in there.

Whatever does gangster kitty do? They usually leave the hogs alone!

Re. The food. I think hogs like to keep us guessing! But if it is a female with babies, she may not have wanted to leave them so early. But all sorts of other potential reasons! Hog watching can be very exciting but it can also be quite frustrating because we don’t always know what the hogs are up to! So there is a certain amount of patience required as well. I think you will have to wait and see how things develop and hope some hoglets turn up, one way or another! Fingers crossed.

Hedgehog