Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS Reply To: WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS

Hi Nic
Thank you for the information on Hedgehog identification, I will try and see if I can look for more identification marks. last night I heard a rustle and I noticed 2 smaller hogs emerging from under my garden shed, at the end of the garden, I think they could be sleeping there, a larger hog emerged from under the fence nearer the house. which is where I thought they were all coming from.
My camera is set up to watch their comings and goings, but it is still difficult to work out exact numbers. They appear from all directions. There are at least 2 large hogs and 2 smaller ones.
Our mature garden is very wildlife friendly, a wildlife garden in a quiet corner, with a small shallow pond, A log pile, and lots of nettles and wild flowers, my flower borders will never win prizes for tidiness! I have an area between my potting shed and the Garden shed where it is a haven for creepy crawlies and bugs, near where the hogs emerged from, not very tidy with garden pots stored, and lots of weeds. but a safe area for the hogs to explore. The hog house and feeding station are set up near the end of the garden in a quiet spot under large shrubs. Hopefully they will continue to visit our garden, we do try and make them welcome.
The hedgehog niblets are ‘Mr Johnson’s ‘A tasty blend of nutritious dried insects & roasted suet that hedgehogs will love’ (A complementary feed for hedghogs) I will not buy it again as they do not like it and I think it is an unnecessary waste of money. I will stick to the recognised brands of hedgehog dried food.

Hedgehog