Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS Reply To: WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS

Nic

Hi hollydog86

Your garden sounds really brilliant for hogs. No wonder you have them there! They could do with a few more like that. Hopefully they will choose to hibernate there as well.

The only other suggestion I would make is maybe to provide more water sources in other parts of your garden. Especially if you are feeding dry food. I know the hogs here make good use of water sources both ends of my garden. I use large plant saucers, so they don’t tip them over so easily. I have one visitor at the moment who always puts both front feet in the water before drinking!

Re. The treats. There always seems to be someone ready to make a lot of money out of people’s love of animals. I’m not sure suet is a good idea anyway. Quote from: http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/hedgehogs.html#population
[“Hedgehog metabolism is geared to the digestion of high protein invertebrate prey and unrestricted access to high-fat foods can result in fatty liver disease, obesity and coronary complications as is seen among humans.”]
But I do wonder whether the treat people are targeting the different type of hedgehog which people are keeping as pets these days.

Re. Identifying. It’s easier in real time to see the smaller details on the hogs, but if you have a reasonably good camera, you should be able to see quite a lot. It can be very rewarding. There is one old female hog who I have known for several years, and seeing her return from hibernation has always been such a treat. Stick to it and it will get easier with time.

Good luck.

Hedgehog