Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings My lodger Reply To: My lodger

Nic

Hi Shaza

It’s good to hear you have a hog living under your shed.

The hedgehogs won’t be mates, as such. They are solitary animals but tend to come together around the food we put out for them. Youngsters often seem to like to share bowls with another hog, either an adult or another hoglet and adult females will sometimes share. Males on the other hand, don’t normally share with another male but they may eat in the same general area, if the bowls are spread out. It depends a bit on the male. The more dominant ones are more likely to roll up any other males in the vicinity.

I have found in the past that some females will tolerate certain other females but not others, so I suppose it could be said that they were, sort of, mates, but it’s also possible that they could be related, i.e. sisters or mother and grown up daughter.

Hedgehog