Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Handling hedgehogs Reply To: Handling hedgehogs

Nic

Hi PaulM

Sorry your question seems to have slipped through the net.

I think it is largely down to personal preference. I have never heard of anyone catching anything from the hedgehogs from food bowls, etc. but obviously if you are dealing with worms or the like it makes sense to be more careful. Personally, I would wash my hands after handling any animals’ food bowls and it sounds to me as if you are being pretty thorough.

I am not qualified to comment from the caring for sick/injured hedgehogs point of view and maybe someone who is, will comment, if they think there are any more precautions you should take.

With regard to the poos. If a hedgehog has done them in a food bowl then I would wash the bowl carefully afterwards. If hedgehogs are eating a natural diet, their poos don’t normally need scraping, as such. But again, personally I wouldn’t pick them up without gloves, although I’m sure some people probably do. I normally just scoop them up with some appropriate implement.

I hope the hedgehog with worms responded well to treatment and that she and all her offspring are doing well.

Hedgehog