Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Two hoglets Reply To: Two hoglets

Nic

HI Gr8mums

That is so good to hear. The hoglets do seem to grow incredibly fast. I have always observed too, that when they are hoglets they seem to like each other’s company. They even appear to prefer to share a food bowl with another hog (either hoglet or adult). Watching in real time is really the best way. You can see what they’re doing much more easily, without them going just out of frame.

Like many wild animals, hedgehogs have very good sense of smell and are inquisitive. I think that they can smell that other hogs have gone that way so they go to find out why and find the food. Perhaps their own way of communicating. Because they are solitary animals, they probably wouldn’t meet other hogs that often in the normal course of events. We are, in effect, influencing their behaviour by feeding them and ‘encouraging’ more hogs to congregate.

I hope ‘Mum’ and hoglets continue to do well and that the little ones don’t get into too much mischief!

Hedgehog