Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Seen my first hedgehog and now there are more!! Reply To: Seen my first hedgehog and now there are more!!

Nic

Hi Laurabiding

To open a new topic:
Click Forum
Click, say, Champions Chat
Scroll down to near the bottom of page
in Start new topic write a ‘title’ (make sure you stay within the limit for minimum no. of characters)
Click in the big box below and start whatever you want to write.
Then click I’m not a robot and follow instructions
Then click submit

If you have put a message on to the end of this topic, it should let you start a new one. If it doesn’t then you may need to contact hedgehog@ptes.org and explain what’s happening.

Pleased to hear you have some hedgehogs there. I’m glad you’ve cut down on the mealworms. Personally, I would cut them out completely, especially if there are hoglets around. You’re probably best sticking with the Spikes

Re. The hog home. It is really personal choice whether you put them on a base or not. If you put it straight onto the ground, the hedgehogs have the option of making a small ‘hollow’ in the earth if they want and you can also peg the dome down. I have one that is a sort of igloo shape and I have it on the ground under a bush but also pegged down with some wire over the tunnel part and pegs (I have seen tent pegs suggested) to make sure no predators can tip it over. Leave some materials, such as dried leaves, long grasses, hay, nearby and let them take them in. You could put just a small amount in to give them the idea, if you wanted to.

Good luck. I hope someone takes up residence soon. Happy hog watching.

Hedgehog