Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS Reply To: WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS

I run a hedgehog support group on Fb, I’m not a rescue, but I am a champion..trying to raise awareness..Food is something I am trying to get across to my followers as something quite important to get right!! I know not all “hedgehog foods” have been properly researched and which some pet shops garden centres sell ..for instance, I love Hedgehogs…the ingredients leave me wondering about it… this is the description…”The delicious blend includes nuts, fruits, sunflower hearts and cereals, laced with sweet energy-rich honey. Dried insects have been added which are the hedgehog’s favourite source of protein.!
Well, we know honey and sweet fruit will rot their teeth, sunflower hearts, nuts and mealworms strip their bones of calcium, and can give them metabolic bone disease, Im wondering how can I get it across to the lovely people only page who are at least support feeding the wild hogs that not all hedgehog foods are good especially When the shops sell it and promotes as wild Hedgehog food! ive got people saying “they love it”..,well of course they do its sweet and is full of mealworms! like sweets to a child..!! too much of it will led to problems.
I try I really try to promote Arkwildlifes original HH food, Spikes, and of course the cat, kitten dog kibble as well as pouches in jelly, meat flavours, etc the foods rescues feed, as we know there has been research done and they are balanced and better for the hogs than junk.
But I am despairing at the rubbish food being sold to the public…and being fed to hedgehogs all up and down the country. there should be some kind of censor on it..so many companies have jumped on the hedgehog bandwagon without researching whats actually good for hedgehogs to eat and whats not. What does everyone else think about this…??

Hedgehog