Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Where to put feeding station Reply To: Where to put feeding station

Nic

Hi melm

My feeling is that the food and water should not be put too close to the hedgehog house. Hedgehogs are naturally solitary animals and might like some peace and quiet in their house. If there is food nearby it is more likely to attract not only other hedgehogs, but also predators, which could be particularly problematical if the hedgehog decides to give birth in the box.

Hedgehogs can travel roughly 1 – 2 miles a night during the course of their foraging, so from one end of a garden to another is nothing to them. I feed hedgehogs within a few yards of the house, although, I have to say this is a fairly quiet household. What I have found over the years is that they will get used to an outside light being on, so you can see them, but are less keen on, for instance, a security light which goes on and off. I tend to keep the light off in the room I am watching from, but am able to see well enough, to make notes, etc., from the light which is coming in from outside. That way, the hedgehogs are less able to see me so that they continue to behave naturally.

My feeling is that, often, too much emphasis is put on feeding hedgehogs and not enough on improving/increasing their habitat. The best thing for hedgehogs is for them to have good habitat so that they can find their own food. As things stand, it seems there is not enough suitable habitat so that they often do need some supplementary feeding. It would be a sad day, I feel, if hedgehogs came to rely completely on the artificial food we offer them. Natural food that they can find themselves is best for them.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

Hedgehog