Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Neighbour killed our hedgehogs Reply To: Neighbour killed our hedgehogs

Nic

Hi Austron

I’m not sure whether that means a hedgehog was actually killed, or not. It is actually against the law to trap and kill a hedgehog, even if it was by mistake. The person who sets any trap is responsible for making sure that it is set in such way that a hedgehog or any other species protected by the law is not killed. I can understand that you may not wish to take it further, but your neighbour needs to be made aware of the law, to ensure that it doesn’t happen again and how serious it really is.

If an adult hedgehog was killed and it had dependant young, they will need help if they are to survive. So you will need to keep a careful look out for any youngsters. The best thing to do is to ring the number I gave above for the BHPS and find your nearest hedgehog carer, then you can speak to them about any youngsters (in advance), if necessary.

I am so sorry that this happened to you and your hedgehog visitors. It must be very difficult for you, both emotionally and practically. I hope that some hedgehogs visit tonight. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Hedgehog