Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Happy to report that hog visits every night & scoffs some of the food I put down for him/her with no cats interfering with the food. Pretty sure one night I was looking at a larger hog, at another time of night, different camera angles can be deceptive. Delightful to see anyhow, also I settled for just snapshots rather than video as that uses so much battery power & often records sweet nothings after the hog has moved out of shot!
Sorry to hear no Digger sightings, that must be rather sad for you. So hard not to become attached as you said once before. Hope she’s reappeared & also some more hogs as your numbers are down this year.
Re marking of hogs, what can you say, you’d think if someone was interested in wildlife they’d have some understanding of these things but obviously not.
So sad about the bat but a good idea re the buddleia. Some years ago I realised most shrubs can be cut into trees really by removing all lower branches thereby giving cats less places to hide & surprise birds & also the insects would be higher for your bats so double benefits.
Little cat from next door utterly confused as neighbour’s partner is there intermittently but he’ll be living back at home soon & no doubt she’ll be delighted to move back in with him again.
So many dangers to wildlife in a garden, saw a horrible article about a grass snake who’d become completely & I think fatally entangled in a football net left lying in a garden. Often see fruit netting sticking out under garden fences, all just waiting for some innocent creature to fall foul of it.
I haven’t seen any mice on camera, used to see them often. Lovely pics of early morning birds though, real treat to see them. Our collared dove pair who come year in year out featured beautifully yesterday, they seemed to know they were being stars of the show the way they went back & fore in front of the camera & right up to it to give us a big smile.
Hope for better news re Digger & your other prickly pals.

Hedgehog