Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What are the marks? Reply To: What are the marks?

I’ve accepted hedgehogs from a local hedgehog rescue group for release into my garden.

These have been discreetly marked whilst in care (and micro-chipped before release). I assume to keep track of who is who, and therefore which medicine they are on etc., and post-release if they present with further problems what their treatment history has been (also revealing that they do seem to hang around the release site).

(Recently my daughter came across a hedgehog near to her which was in a bad way and which I took straight to the rescue group. Instantly they knew her as ‘one of theirs’ thanks to the marking. (Unfortunately she had to be PTS, probably involved in a RTA)).

So, if you spot marked hogs, these may very well be ones released back into the ‘wild’ following a spell of treatment.

Hedgehog