Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat I've refurbished the diners Reply To: I've refurbished the diners

Hi Leon,

I think, like you, most people end up with the plastic boxes – as ugly as they are, they do work well.
we put several layers of brown paper on the bottom of ours, which makes it easier to simply lift the poo and soakings out very once in a while, depending how dirty they get, and these can go into the brown recycling bin.
It does seem to be the case that hogs prefer an untidy environment to a pristine one, but we have always considered the poo deposits to be a sign of gratitude.
having overwintered hogs for a number of years – I can say with a degree of certainty that the poo activity is used as a communication tool – and they can be very creative about it as well!

Hedgehog