Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Will they be ok for winter? Reply To: Will they be ok for winter?

Nic

Hi

15 degrees C. sounds fine. Last year, for the first time, I had a hoglet who decided not to hibernate, despite being heavy enough. He continued to visit all winter, part of which was very cold (- 5 or 6 I seem to recall), and only missed two nights when the snow was too deep! He continued to grow all winter. He spent some days in a nest he built here, but obviously had another elsewhere as well.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the adult. Are the hoglets still arriving with her? I think if she was really hungry she would eat with them. But, she might be trying to encourage them to become independant. You could try dividing the food between several bowls and see if it makes any difference. You’ll probably find the hoglets still like sharing, even if there is plenty of room for them to have one each!

Don’t worry about asking too many questions. There are plenty of people here very happy to answer, if we can.

Hedgehog