Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat So many hogs… Reply To: So many hogs…

Nic

Hi Hoglips

It is good to hear that you have lots of hogs there. However, I would just mention that it is very difficult to say how many hogs are actually visiting if you are relying on camera evidence, unless you are able to identify the hedgehogs by their natural markings.

One hedgehog can and often does return to an area, including feeding areas, multiple times in one night. For instance I frequently have more than 100 videos from one camera, until after 5 in the morning, but I know that there are only in fact 3 hedgehogs visiting at the moment – because I can recognise them. Hedgehogs are notorious for being able to change their shape and on camera, in particular, can often look variable sizes and shapes. It is very easy to think they are different hedgehogs from size and shape alone, when they aren’t and it isn’t a reliable way to differentiate them.

Having said that, a local population can consist of 12 hedgehogs with more when hoglets are around. (although it seems very unlikely that they would all visit your garden on the same night on a regular basis) 3 or 4 hogs in the garden at one time is not unusual. But, that it is why it is so worrying that hedgehogs are being released in such large numbers in certain areas. I just hope that the people doing the releasing have thoroughly researched the area before releasing, including attempting to make contact with any local hedgehog watchers. Otherwise if hedgehogs are released where there is an already healthy population, both the releasees and the original population could be put at risk. In the natural way of things, the population would adapt to the conditions in the area and would naturally settle at numbers which the local habitat could support.

Evidence suggests that the hog population is not doing any better. So, having taken into account the things I mentioned above, if you really do have a large population, it may be that you have just been lucky and found somewhere where there is an already existing healthy population. Or, as others have mentioned, some have been released.

I think your neighbours who are aware that there was a healthy population are likely to be more reliable than the ones who seldom saw hogs. Some people just don’t look to see if there are any hogs around and many tend not to venture into the garden at night.

The important thing is that you have hedgehogs visiting on a regular basis and I hope that you continue to enjoy their visits.

Hedgehog