Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog hibranation already? Reply To: Hedgehog hibranation already?

The food I leave out is still disappearing with great gusto ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes the straw indicator placed at the entrance of a hog house remains in place for a day or two, indicating that either a hog has gone somewhere else to sleep (I suspect some bed-swapping goes on), or is inside having a long nap.

My hogs seemed to have been spoiled feeding Whiskas cat food in jelly.

(They obviously don’t like the jelly, so I spend time removing as much as I can to put in the fox dish with other scraps).

I’ve tried a cheaper brand of cat food, but they are spoiled now ๐Ÿ™

I’m still getting through a tin and a bit each night.

I feed just before dusk and re-fill empty plates before going to bed, all gone by morning (I was thinking maybe I should put out even more food, but remembered that there is plenty of natural food around, so no one is likely to be going hungry).

I also offer dried cat food, but they may nibble at it, but not much is taken, and I’ve tried a couple of brands.

As hibernation approaches, and the wet cat food starts to be left in the dish, I want to continue to leave out dried food only. With them not showing much interest in the dried cat food, I’m wondering if I should try a specific hedgehog feed, and which one?

I’m also looking forward to the day that the hogs come out of hibernation and I can clean out their homes in the Spring, and wondering just when to do this.

If they are still using the homes for day-time sleeping, I don’t really feel right about turfing them out for a Spring clean.

(A few years ago I created some ‘hedgehog opportunities’ by rolling some chicken wire into a tube, wrapping layers of newspaper around the tube, placing it all in a plastic bag and filling it with leaves before stuffing it beneath the hedge. Come the Spring I was doing a general garden tidy, tipped the leaves out of the (I thought empty) tube and out rolled not just one, but three hogs! I abandoned this type of nest when one of the tubes was raided and emptied by a fox one winter, now I make sure all homes are fox-proof, but worry about piles of leaves etc being used when there is not enough fox-proof homes to go around. I suppose nature will take it’s course. Foxes and hedgehogs have rubbed along long before I arrived on scene).

I do wonder if some of my houses have multiple occupation though.

Hedgehog