Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Bonfires :( Reply To: Bonfires :(

Hi Frogbit,

Welcome to the forum also.

As Nic says piles of wood ready to be burnt on bonfire night provide an inviting home for our prickly friends to hibernate in which often ends in tragedy for them when the dreaded night comes around – always a worrying time of year for us hog lovers.

Last year I printed off some posters and distrbuted them in the local neighbourhood, as well as handing them to various organisations as well, to try and make people aware of the dangers bonfires pose to our hogs and I’m pleased to say that some are still pinned up on local notice boards a year on.

I don’t know how to do attachments on this site but the link Nic refers to is as follows https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/bonfire-night-posters/ where you can download 3 different posters about hogs and bonfires so hope this helps.

As for the bonfire you have seen if they can check this for any sleeping hogs and then, and I’m sure this is doable, put a (safe) hog proof barrier around it (strange to say this as we keep talking about hedgehog highways but this is to stop them getting in to the bonfire material of course) then remove this on the night.

Hopefully then no hogs will be harmed and everyone can enjoy their bonfire night in the knowledge that no hogs were harmed.

Hedgehog