Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS 2018 Reply To: WHAT TO FEED HEDGEHOGS 2018

Nic

Hi Margaret

It may be that it is ok, but I would still have that conversation. I certainly did with the makers of the food I offer, to satisfy myself that they were keeping up to date with the latest knowledge etc. The trouble with hog food is that anyone can decide to make it and make certain claims about it. But, which wildlife hospitals, etc. do they mean. Also, I’m not sure how they can make the claim that it’s better than feeding cat or dog food. What is that claim based on? What is the rationale for including whole linseed? (For humans, as I understand it, it is sometimes used as a bulking agent and source of fibre, and the nutrients are more easily released if it’s crushed) how does that relate to hedgehogs natural high protein diet? etc. There may be perfectly good reasons and to be honest, I don’t know all the answers – but they should!

My feeling is that all hedgehog food manufacturers need to be aware that we want the very best for the hogs and by asking the questions, we are helping to ensure that they are doing their very best to provide it. It’s easy to make claims, but they all need to be able to back them up and someone needs to make sure that they can. That’s us, I think! I don’t think hedgehog lovers are necessarily well known for their pushiness, but maybe we all need to be a bit more pushy for the benefit of the hogs!

I agree, hedgehogs don’t seem to be very efficient lappers, but 10 minutes non-stop is still a long time, in my experience. I always think they do look incredibly cute when they are drinking, though – especially the hoglets!

Hedgehog