Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Looking after a baby hedgehog Reply To: Looking after a baby hedgehog

Hi IndiaHawker,

I’ve overwintered hogs for many years for various reasons – and believe me when I say its an emotional rollercoaster and you don’t want to go into that situation if you can help it.
the best thing you can do for this hog is get her checked out by a hog carer – they may check poo for signs of parasites and treat her – but to work towards releasing her is the very best advise.
She will put on weight very quickly when captive – in fact it becomes a problem trying to manage their weight when captive as they simply eat when food is available to the point of them becoming at risk when released as they are beyond healthy.
whilst they are captivated and charming and we think they are healthy because active – this tends to be a result of their stress levels – and she will simply be looking for an escape when she is awake. sometimes they pace and scratch so much that they injure themselves in the process – which is also something you don’t want to be witnessing.
Please take a look on the location map on the hedgehog bottom website for your nearest rescue / carer and talk to them, get her checked out and take their advise.
http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/cms/find-a-rescue/
hope it all goes well and keep an eye out for any others that may be around – as they usually hang around in groups when tiny.

Hedgehog