Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our hedgehogs haven't been for 5 nights running…. Reply To: Our hedgehogs haven't been for 5 nights running….

Down in Kent I’ve two hedgehog houses that I can usually rely upon hedgehogs coming and going during the night (a straw across the entrance tells me).

A third house sometimes the straw is triggered, sometimes not.

For the last 3/4 nights the straws on all three have remained firmly in place.

Not just that but I’m not needing to put out so much food in the feeding stations now, though still getting visitors and the trail-cam is still recording some hogs moving around at night.

(I was expecting that the sudden warm spell would have things moving again)

Of course I can’t be certain, but I suspect I have sleepers in the three houses now.

Other places in the garden that have straws guarding sleeping ‘opportunities’ are being triggered. ie under the wood pile etc.

Which has me wondering about multi-occupation of houses.

If a house already contains a hibernating hedgehog, would another snuggle in? (I once discovered 3 hogs asleep in a leaf filled sack that had been beneath the hedge all winter).

Or do they detect a resident and not bother going in? (leaving my straws untriggered as seems to be the case now)?

(Perhaps loud snoring puts them off).

Or do (only) relatives sleep together?

Anyway the foxes appreciate the extra rations that the hedgehogs are leaving, which goes out on their plate the following night 🙂

Hedgehog