Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Looking after a baby hedgehog Reply To: Looking after a baby hedgehog

I have looked after and encouraged the hedgehogs in my garden for a number of years and rescued a few sick and injured ones as well as a couple of under-weight juveniles but have always taken them to local experienced carers. They are the ones who can check for lungworm burdens etc and treat them and get them to vets with an interest in hogs if required.

I would never attempt to do it myself as I just don’t have the facilities and experience and the hedgehog is best off in the right hands for over-wintering and treatment when required. I’ve had hedgehogs returned to me after successful treatment and released them back into my garden where there are hog houses as well food and water and all went well. Probably the rest route for hedgehog… and human rescuer!

Hedgehog