Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Looking after a baby hedgehog Reply To: Looking after a baby hedgehog

Fully agree Digannio,

They are complex creatures with complex needs and my early days were also spent thinking I was doing the right thing by taking them in and giving them a home over winter. I look back now and feel guilty about some of my actions – as these creatures clearly needed the right care. Its a huge learning curve, and I would only recommend that people go down this route if they are prepared in terms of having or being prepared to create the right environment for them and establish strong connections with a good source of hog expertise that can be readily accessed.
experienced hog carers are precious people – with precious little time or funds – certainly the one I associate with has been grateful for having options to extend her outsourced rehoming and support activities when times are difficult for accommodating numbers of hogs that she has ‘fixed’. Its something that could work if people are able and prepared to put the effort in to.

Hedgehog