Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Looking after a baby hedgehog Reply To: Looking after a baby hedgehog

The carers I have had dealings with have been amazing people and sometimes seem to be pushed to the limit with lines of cages, bags of feed and supplies of medications everywhere. I always make a donation to the upkeep of any hogs I take along because it seems such a time-consuming and expensive thing to do. Must take over people’s lives as they can’t just pop off on holiday or a weekend away with a houseful of hogs always demanding attention.

I would also always be fearful of trying to look after a hedgehog myself as I also gather that if they are ill they can sometimes go downhill really quickly, particularly younger ones, especially if they have something like a large lungworm burden and the stress of captivity on top.

I suppose the fact is that although it seems a great thing to offer a hedgehog a warm, cosy place to spend some time while being fed, all they really want to do is be in some grubby, overgrown, cool place out in the wild and have as little contact with those two-footed giants as possible!

Hedgehog