Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Question about eating habits in October Reply To: Question about eating habits in October

Hi Lewisdad,

Its sounds like you are trying to do the right thing – and I know there is lots of variable advise out there – but I think its more responsible of the rescue to look for suitable release sites for hogs in small batches of 1 or 2, rather than large release volumes – which happens with some rescues – you can imagine when they’ve had hundreds each winter, what that looks like on a scale of practicality! many hogs also cannot be released back where found though and advice is that you don’t release them in areas where there are known predators, tormentors or dangers.
we released a one eyed female from a rescue back in the summer – we haven’t seen her for a while now – but we have a large wooded predator free area at the back of our garden, with lots of undergrowth to hide in – and I conclude that she’s probably found her feet out there and has hopefully raised a litter of hoglets of her own. here’s hoping anyway – and its right that she was given the chance at freedom again – I’m sure that would have been her choice if she had had her say on it.

Hedgehog