Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Autumn Juvenile Advice – Hugh Warwick Reply To: Autumn Juvenile Advice – Hugh Warwick

I think the key is that, “a hedgehog weighing less than 450 grams will not survive hibernation” but that is if they choose to hibernate. As many of us have witnessed, if they have access to a plentiful supply of food, they quickly put on weight and don’t seem to hibernate until they are ready, sometimes in spite of sub zero temperatures and some even choosing not to hibernate at all. As long as they look healthy and show no signs of distress I leave well alone.

Speaking of which, we have a large brute still visiting who I think is starting to show signs of lungworm. It started with the occasional cough about a week ago and now I can hear very faint rattly breathing, could it just be a cold or do I need to get him checked out?

Hedgehog