Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our hedgehogs haven't been for 5 nights running…. Reply To: Our hedgehogs haven't been for 5 nights running….

Nic

The question of green poo as part of gut evacuation before hibernation has been discussed on the forum, more than once, as I recall. Unfortunately, I only kept a copy of one connection, which was when someone said:

“I read recently that hedgehogs do some sort of gut evacuation at the beginning and the end of hibernation. I remember as the article said it looked like green slime and I have seen this in the garden. It looks a bit like seaweed. The first time I came across it I was worried the hedgehogs may be ill so I was glad to read this was normal.
I’m no expert and I cannot remember the source but the hedgehogs have been coming here for years and they appear healthy.”

As with everything on the forum, there is no guarantee that that information is accurate.

Sadly that was from before the Forum was updated, but, as I recall someone else knew about the gut evacuation before hibernation, I’m just not sure who! Or the details. But, as I recall it did exist. The only thing I can suggest is starting a new topic ‘gut evacuation before hibernation?’ and see if anyone responds, maybe under carers/rescuing hogs?

Hedgehog