Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Over wintering…. Reply To: Over wintering….

Hello Jane

Yes you definitely can move him into the garage. If it doesn’t have windows I would leave a light on during the daylight hours and turn it off when dark. He may or may not hibernate so you will need to keep feeding.
I think you may need to cut down how much you’re feeding him though as over 500gms in 2 months is quite a big weight gain. No more than a handful a day and only in the evenings
I would not release as he won’t know where to find food – most of his natural food will not be around yet, and if it freezes he’ll struggle to dig up worms etc. He also won’t be able to build a dry nest at this time of year. So I would not recommend release until spring when the wild hogs start getting up.
Hope that helps

Hedgehog