Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog has now moved into the house we made Reply To: Hedgehog has now moved into the house we made

Hi Nic, job done. We removed the outer lid and replaced the inner one with a thin plastic sheet with holes drilled in it. Then the top lid we have left a gap on the side that is protected by an over lapping wall and put a cover over as well so that it is doubly protected but still ventilated. I think we have done a sufficient job now on that. When we opened up the inner box the hog has buried itself in loads of grass and leaves as well as the ripped paper I put in for it. We couldn’t even see it. I will remove as much of the poo as I can then. I have contemplating buying a hedgehog house but am not sure what sort is best, any advice?? Would be much appreciated as I think I will send for one in early summer and replace our makeshift one with a proper one. The wooden box we have used is not going to last as it is old and it was exposed to the weather for a long time. Where we have it now is totally protected by first of all a low wall on one side and our house wall on the other, a table with legs over that, and a very large table top placed over the table. That stops the driving rain getting at it all. We get lots of rain and stormy weather here in Cornwall so that is why we did all that. Nothing can blow off either as we have half a breeze block on top of the top table. I hope you can understand all that as it is probably quite hard to imagine. It seems to work anyway. We have lots of hedgehogs around here I am glad to say. We have a back lane that they all use and lots of people have holes in the bottom of their garden gates for them. One of my neighbours once had lots living in her garden and she had 37 hoglets at one time. That must have been a sight to see I think. Regards Elsie. Thanks for all your help.

Hedgehog