Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog has now moved into the house we made Reply To: Hedgehog has now moved into the house we made

Nic

Hi ElsieD

I’m always happy to help – especially when it comes to hogs! Glad you managed to get that done without disturbing the hog.

Re. the hog houses, it’s difficult to advise as there are so many types. One thing I have found is that ones that open at the top are much easier to clean out. (My first one had a sliding door at the front but only part way along and isn’t easy to clean at all). Also, I think the ones where they go in and have to turn immediately left or right are slightly more cat proof than the ones they go in and straight on down a corridor – although I have had cats get into mine. You might find that they still leak a bit, so you might still need your table arrangement or some reinforcement for the roof.

It sounds really lovely for hogs there – being able to get into all those gardens – that’s ideal for them. Plenty of places for them to forage. Much better for them if they can get natural food, even if some supplementary food is probably useful as a top up.

Fingers crossed for a good hog year this year.

Hedgehog