Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog Piling on the Pounds! Reply To: Hog Piling on the Pounds!

Well the little guy is still dishing out nightly biffings to the big fella and I have now started feeling sorry for the big fella – after all he was here first and, until the arrival of the little guy, had unhindered access to all the food.

That said what a transformation from the small sluggish hog that I first saw on Saturday night. He has visually put on weight (but still on the small side) and is so much more active. I’m sure he would have been fine without any intervention from me but hopefully I gave him a boost post hibernation.

I think he has now taken up reisdence in one of my hog houses (I will take a peek at the weekend) and I’m not so sure he had been using the log pile as a home although he has defintiely been in there (a sort of ‘tunnel’ has been formed at one end but I can’t see any way further in to the log pile unless the hog has been pulling in material to close up the opening).

With the clocks going forward this weekend it will make feeding easier with the lighter evenings when I come home from work. The little guy was already waitng for his dinner when I got back and went and hid amongst the flower pots when I put the food dishes out but didn’t wait too long to re-emerge after I went back in (it made me wonder what concept the hogs have of being fed as he was probably waitng for the food to appear and felt he would be happy to wait until it, or me, appeared).

Hedgehog