Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehogs and rats Reply To: Hedgehogs and rats

Hi I am also having a problem with a rat that has started to raid the hedgehogs feeding station, I have caught on the trail cam the rat being aggressive towards the hogs and also a hog and rat eating next to each other. But the last 2 nights no more hedgehogs. I think the rat is scaring them and/or chasing them.
I have been trying to capture the rat (or rats?) using a humane trap like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000QVSCH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and bought the bait to go with it but the mice manage to get in eat the bait and get out. The rat doesn’t seem to get any near it.
I have heard from my local rescue that a rat ate a hibernating hog so I want to have the rat(s) removed and release in the wood further away. I have 3 overwintering hogs due to release so I want to make it safe for them. Any suggestions? The rat has avoided the trap for about 2 weeks now.

PS: I am not feeding the birds in the same area, I only feed them in my front garden away from the cats.

Hedgehog