Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Brilliant news, Annie, that the building must be finished by now. It will be so nice to have the place back to normal, but with the benefit your new extension. So sad to hear that the hogs there have been marked. Unfortunately, the ones here have too, although one young female’s marks have been fading nicely, but she had a lot of spots, as well. Unfortunately, she was late last night, so I didn’t get a really good look at her, but Friday and Saturday nights seem to be the danger time when they are most likely to be re-marked.

The starlings here have youngsters, too. I always think they look a bit like aliens from another planet with those great dark eyes. I had to stop using the hanging feeder because of the rat and they have all been crowding, noisily, round bowls on the bird table. I always love to see them, even if they are rather quarrelsome and noisy. It isn’t usually too too long before they all whoosh off again, so the smaller birds have time to get a look in between the bigger birds’ visits. The best bit is watching the starlings all trying to crowd into and splashing around in the bird baths. I’ve given up on the fat balls for now, with not only starlings, but also rooks and jackdaws, the containers were in danger!

I feel rather sad about the rat, because someone poisoned it, but it came to my garden to die in the flower bed. Seems I did too good a job at preventing it from getting food and it went somewhere else. I just hope whoever put that poison down did it sensibly so that hogs, birds, people’s pets can’t get it by mistake. Even though I didn’t want it here – poor rat – not a nice way to go.

Good to hear that some of the nets have gone from the hedges, Penny. I hope they really do tighten up the legislation. Pleased to hear the blue tits managed to successfully fledge, despite the efforts of the cat.

The most frequent male hog visitor here seems more interested in food than the most regular female visitor, despite her efforts to attract his attention! I can only hope that he is more attentive away from the camera.

Latest news of Siili is that the wound has all healed up, but the spines haven’t grown yet. Amazing that such a nasty wound could heal – all thanks to the expert attention received. Hopefully, it shouldn’t be too long before Siili can come home again. Then begins another kind of worry!

Hope the hogs there settle into a new routine soon, Annie, and that you enjoy your new extension and watching the hogs.

Hedgehog