Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Can you overfeed? Reply To: Can you overfeed?

Nic

Hi HogHosp

Yes, I know what you mean re. the chemicals many people spray on their gardens. Which makes it all the more important that we pass on the word about gardening in a hedgehog/wildlife friendly way and linking gardens. I suspect hedgehogs do not even cross many people’s mind when they are spraying these chemicals – many of which I, personally, think are pretty pointless anyway! Thankfully, the hedgehogs have more than slugs to eat in my garden as well as some other suitable habitat nearby.

Re. the over-weight hog. Yes, I was talking about just the one hog. I have understood it to be the case that “usually hogs won’t over-eat”.

I have, myself, more than one winter, had non-hibernating hedgehogs visiting here and have gone to great lengths to ensure there was food for them all night, every night through the winter, if they came for it. Not an easy matter with ‘Houdini’ cats – who could get into boxes, which most people would claim were cat proof, as well as a rat! Not everything always turns out as easily as we may like it to be!

Hedgehog