Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings My first hedgehog sighting! Reply To: My first hedgehog sighting!

Lucky you CDot!

A fairly rare sighting of a female gathering dry leaves for her nest. for her to be doing this during the day means she is very close to giving birth and has left it until the very last minute. They are very fussy about the leaves they take to nest build with – so you have obviously got good resources she likes.
My advice would be much in keeping with what others have suggested – provide water for sure and good quality food (but not too close to the nest as this may attract unwanted attention to her and her young). although she may not eat herself for a while once they arrive anyway.
Don’t be tempted to go anywhere near her or the nest between now and her reappearing (hopefully with her babies / hoglets / urchins) – this will be seen as very threatening and she may abandon or harm her young under these circumstances.
Happy hog watching and fingers crossed she has a good healthy litter that you will get to glimpse.

Hedgehog