Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings All tangled up ! Reply To: All tangled up !

Nic

Hi Gr8mums

Well done getting hold of the SPCA so quickly.

I usually use torn up strips of paper (newspaper or even magazine) jumbled up, so that they can hide underneath it, if they want – and they usually have. The wildlife hospital use old towels and the hogs hide under them too. If you have some, I would put some newspaper on the bottom. The hogs nearly always spill the water and so it’s quite handy to have something which soaks it up, although the hog might tear that up a bit too and possibly burrow underneath it. And they tend to make a bit of a mess altogether! so don’t use something you don’t mind throwing away afterwards, if necessary. Guinea pig hutch sounds ideal, as you will have room to put the food and water a bit away from the ‘sleeping’ area.

I have found that the hogs usually try to hide to start with and don’t try to eat or drink until quite a while later.

Good luck. Hope the hog turns up early and isn’t injured too much. Let us know how you get on.

Hedgehog