Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Road signs, dft Reply To: Road signs, dft

Nic

Hi Annker

I suspect that it’s likely to ultimately be your local authority who is responsible for roads, who will make the final decision of if/where these signs are used. (Although I might be wrong about that – I don’t know what information you have seen on facebook or twitter.) But you could enquire at your local authority initially.

But in all circumstances, if you want a hog road sign in any particular location, it might be a good idea to prepare a case for it. That might include finding and suggesting suitable locations for the sign – where it is visible, but does not interfere with other signs, or create an excess of signs in one location, is not at an otherwise dangerous stretch of road i.e. consider road safety, etc. Bear in mind that all these ‘authorities’ are stretched at the moment, so may be more likely to agree if you have done some of the ‘leg work’. But it might be worth checking with them first to see what sort of information they would require. This might vary from place to place.

Then you might like to check out the Big Hedgehog Map, which will provide some sort of ‘proof’ that there are hedgehogs in the area and whether any have been killed on the road. This is a good example of how useful it can be if everyone enters all the hedgehogs they see (alive or dead) onto the Big Hedgehog Map – i.e. it can give an idea of how many hedgehogs there are in a given area.

Good luck. Let us know if you find out anything more about this.

Hedgehog