Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Whats in your dish? Reply To: Whats in your dish?

Hi Nic Yes I also hope no one misunderstood my post! So sorry if I caused confusion. But thankfully your brilliant response should sort that one out.
Hedgehogs as pets! the very thought disturbs me!
As for moving the food, I haven’t moved it far, just not in the box anymore. Hog managed to find it tonight, but didn’t eat much . Think maybe I’m worrying too much about doing the right thing. I’ve had HH in my garden for years, but never had the time before to take much interest. Your comments about addiction to bad foods is very interesting. I’ve never bought mealy worms as they seem to attract lots of starlings, which seem to have a direct impact on the variety of birds that visit. But I have always fed peanuts and until recently, I have never been concerned about the ones dropping to the floor as the pigeons tend to clear them up. However, since learning about the feeding habits of HH , I’m now inclined to think it may have been the peanuts attracting the hedgehogs to my garden in the first place. And now I have changed all my feeders to the netted type that don’t drop, HH are not quite so impressed with the menu on offer.
Thanks for your advice all very useful.

Hedgehog