Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Whats in your dish? Reply To: Whats in your dish?

Nic

Hi Hettihog

You may be worrying a bit too much – it’s a bit of an occupational hazard with hogs! They give us a huge amount of pleasure, but a fair amount of worry as well. I expect the hog will get used to the menu eventually. As you say, at the moment, there may be more wild food around than usual. But we may get a warm dry spell, when worms, etc. are not so easy to come by and then the hog might be grateful for a bit of supplementary food and water. Although I always leave water out, even if it’s raining!

I think the thing to remember, with hogs is that we can’t know about something until we find out about it. All we can do is try our best for the hogs.

I think many of us found it was the food the birds dropped, which initially drew our attention to the hogs’ visits – me included, many years ago. I don’t think that would have done them too much harm – I know here, there are always lots of birds on the ground picking up any bits that might have been spilt, so there isn’t usually much left by evening. But we don’t want to be giving the hogs any more of that sort of thing, on top of what they may find. Especially as others, elsewhere, may be doing just that.

I know what you mean about the starlings. I get them here, too – and rooks and jackdaws. But luckily each species tend to all swoop in together and then disappear so it gives the smaller birds a chance to get a look in. I rather like the starlings, even though they are a bit quarrelsome! Especially when they get into the bird baths and send the water flying in all directions! The blackbirds seem to have learnt that if I’m around they have a better chance of getting the food as the starlings are a bit more jumpy. So, they make sure I know they’re there and that I put more food out especially for them. There’s a bit of a day shift and a night shift. When evening comes certain things get re-arranged for the hedgehogs. At night time, it’s their domain and during the day, the birds – and all the insects, etc., of course!

Well the sun is finally shining. Bees buzzing and birds feeding. I must get out and tend to their garden for them!

Hedgehog