Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Difference between a male and female hedgehog? Reply To: Difference between a male and female hedgehog?

Hi, Nic !

Yes, I’m pleased to say Herb / Florence / Florian ( simbo’s excellent suggestion! ) is back on home turf & doing extremely well it seems..

..but honestly, with ( at least ) 3 regular visitors now, it’s become more like the card hustle, Find The Lady..!!

Having noted the particular appendage you mention previously, quite clear to see on night-cam footage ( from pretty much ANY angle to be fair..!!! ), during feeding & some highly amusing scratching sessions..! I was fairly confident our injured Hog was the female.. so much so, I caught & released the same Hog two nights running, falsely misidentified & returned to the box, with no clear indications other than the footage next morning showing it leaving with a lame leg..!!

Fortunately, Herb/Florence had another identifier in the form of a rogue, extra long quill.. or a piece of stuck hay ( as it turned out..! ), I had better luck the next night when all THREE pitched up at the same time..! With one box, & only one pair of ( gloved ) hands, at least I knew what I was looking for!!

Equally, of course – I didn’t want to stress them by over handling, but I have to say, the second night ‘Florence’ was all the more chilled at the prospect as it seemed it was becoming a regular occurrence..!!!

( I wonder.. is there a way to link a video in these Forum Posts..?! I’d love to share the dramatic ‘biff’ as described previously..!! No formal reintroductions.. instant & unexpected aggression from our otherwise cute critters..!! ) LOL!

Hedgehog