Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Obsessed by the hedgehogs in my garden Reply To: Obsessed by the hedgehogs in my garden

Nic

Hi Hedgie Lover

It sounds as if you have been doing a pretty good job of finding out about the hogs. Well done for steering clear of the mealworms.

I think the hissing sound you refer to might be what we normally call huffing – would that fit? If so, it is usually part of courtship. The male circles around the female and she huffs (does sound a bit like hissing) and goes round and round in the middle of his circle.

Is there any chance you can get another hog house. If so, I would be inclined to leave the one you have been using for feeding where it is and put the other one in the other site you have ear-marked. But try to get it so that it opens at the top, even if it has four pegs at the corners and lifts off – you can weigh it down with bricks, etc. The most important thing when cleaning out is to get rid of the parasite eggs by using boiling water.

It’s a good idea to leave water out in your garden all day every day. I use large plant saucers, probably 8 inches wide or more and not so deep that a hoglet could get stuck in it. I usually have a few water sources around. If a dehydrated hog came out during the day, it could be a lifesaver. Also useful for nursing mothers. They can double up, during the day, for the birds to drink from.

I’m sure you’ve already read about linking gardens and making your garden as wildlife friendly as possible. Both very important for the hogs.

Keep an eye out for the little hog. It might just have been eating a bug, as you suggested, but if you are worried about it, or any other hog, at any time, you can find the contact details of your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator from the BHPS 01584 890801.

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching.

Hedgehog