Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Obsessed by the hedgehogs in my garden Reply To: Obsessed by the hedgehogs in my garden

Nic

Hi Hedgie Lover

I don’t tend to watch youtube often, so not sure, but it’s possible that the more unusual ‘altercations’ are put on there. There is a variety of responses to being biffed. Some immediately roll up – probably the ones more submissive to that particular hedgehog, some just put up minimal resistance and are pushed along sideways and some (I have found, less often) fight back.

Here, I have found that more often than not, the hogs seem to know whether it is worth putting up any resistance. But some hogs, not content with just rolling another hog up, will revisit it and give it another occasional biff to make sure it stays that way – until it gets fed up with that a wanders off leaving the rolled up one in peace.

Sounds like what you saw was fairly mild exchange, possibly because they are youngsters. In my experience, an adult male wouldn’t normally let the biffed one eat nearby like that so soon after.

Hedgehog