Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Hi Nic

Your ponds are a bit more sophisticated than mine, I’ve had a small pot pond for a few years, only about a foot high & the same across with rocks in to the bottom so it’s not deep enough to be a problem getting out of as shallow at the top with a Phalaris growing nicely in it – striped green, pink & white pointed leaves. Have seen a lady blackbird having a lovey bath in it but then had to top it up again. Never seen anything much in it but it’s there for anybody who wants to hover – a huge dragon fly did once – or spend time on the leaves.

Last night I had the pleasure of squatting next to a roughly 5″ little hog who had arrived early before I put the food out, while it crunched its way through a handful of hog food I offered it. I noticed the light coming on at 10 & there it was snuffling around the herbs & forget me nots on the path so I took the dish of food out, put it in the feeding station then risked putting some next to little hog. I thought it would run off but it observed me for a bit then started getting stuck in when I didn’t move. Real treat. The camera has been recording multiple visits each night for the last week from around 11 to almost 5 in the morning, mostly small hogs but at least one very large one.

One of our woodpigeons is looking very ruffled & tatty, the pair of them are such regulars & so distinguished looking in their posh suits. Remind me of city gents!! Used to have 2 then one was killed by a bird of prey & it was a few years before the remaining one had a partner again. Looked up life expectancy & it’s from 3-5 years through to 15 depending on circumstances such as predation & human interference.

Has Igel had any luck with the boys yet do you think?

I found a load of the trash the unwelcome visitors left & reported it too, idiotic wasters, hope Captcha gives us a break again, it’s such a pain.

Hedgehog