Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Finally! I’ve got cat proof feeding stations. Reply To: Finally! I’ve got cat proof feeding stations.

I’m interested in reading your tales Hettihog – I’m like you, totally obsessed and talking about them a lot, probably boring everyone to tears.

I’m having problems with my feeding station too – the local cats like it too and if I put the food out too early it’s gone. So what I’m doing at the mo – is putting the dried hedgehog food and meaty cat biscuits first and refresh the water bowl – I do this early on, before sunset and then later on – in between 10-11pm, I put a small dish of wet dog food out –

The cats that visit must be bored of cat biscuits, and not too keen on the hedgehog food – but they love the wet food, regardless whether or not it’s dog or cat food. And they eat the whole lot – and the hedges love the dog food as well – they eat that first and almost in one go – before they eat the dried food.

I put the wet dog food out much later as there is more chance a hedgehog will be able to get their first – but put the dried food out early – just in case one comes earlier than usual, as I don’t want them to find no food and then decide not to come back to my garden again.

At first I had a quite small hole for the entrance 4 by 4 inch, and that seemed to do the trick, kept the cats out – but I kept reading that it should be at least 5 by 5 inch, so I made it bigger, made a tunnel out of bricks, put a wooden board on top of the bricks, so cat would have to crouch down low and turn 90 degrees a couple of times, but they seem to have no problem doing this –

I’m wondering if I should just go back to having a 4 inch hole again, I didn’t need to put bricks down or make a tunnel to keep the cats out – I’m sure most hedgehogs would be able to squeeze through it – 5 by 5 inch is big enough for a cat to get in, what do you think?

I started off my putting the food outside on the garden – and all night I’d see hedgehogs in my garden – but since I made the feeding station – I see about one a night – I think there are probably more that visit when I’m asleep – but it’s certainly not as busy as it was originally – does it usually take a while for Hedgies to get used to going inside feeding stations?

Hedgehog