Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Finally! I’ve got cat proof feeding stations. Reply To: Finally! I’ve got cat proof feeding stations.

Morning Hedgie Lover – Yes I agree, it’s great reading what other hedgehog fans are doing to help their little visitors/residents. I’ve learnt such a lot over recent months from the forums.
I must be doing something right, because both of the hedgehogs that I’m caring for have put on weight and are looking really healthy. In fact the one living under the shed has doubled in size since first sighting a few months ago. It’s the under shed one that is moving the straw and seems to be renovating /building the nest. Of course there is the possibility some of the weight gain may be related to a pregnancy, but either way both hogs are feeding really well and I’m confident of their ability to get through a winter in their current state.
There is no doubt though that this hog loving business becomes obsessional and a constant worry. Initially I worried about cats eating the food before the hogs got a look in, but I know from the trail cam the hogs get to the food first and although the cats still try to get in the feeding station, they are unable to get around the partition. I also use to worry about the cats hurting the hogs, but the visiting cats don’t seem to bother the hogs in the slightest!
So nothing to worry about I hear my hubby say !
But as lovely as it would be to have little hoglets in my garden, I’m now worrying about the potential dangers to them and their survival ! And I have no evidence yet that there will be hoglets! LOL !
As a retired mental health social worker I’ve dealt with real life threatening emergencies – I’m not and never have been a worrier ! !
So tell me just how have these little spiky creatures wheedled their way into my heart and invaded my head space ! LOL
Best Wishes happy hog watching! xx

Hedgehog