Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog houses and highways. Reply To: Hedgehog houses and highways.

Nic

Hi 5sandown

Brilliant that you have made highways for the hogs – just what they need.

It seems unlikely that two adult males would share a house. I wonder whether they are youngsters, possibly siblings. That would be my guess. All adult hogs are solitary, other than females with their young. Are you absolutely certain that they are both in the house at the same time. They do sometimes alternate use. Males, in particular, are inclined to move nests fairly often. Also possible that a youngster could sneak in when an adult is sleeping, but I would have thought that was more likely in the winter, when the nest is likely to be more substantial and the adult less likely to notice if it had begun to hibernate.

Are the the ‘suspects’ those shown on your photos? It isn’t always easy to tell from photos, but it does appear that they are fairly young looking.

Anyway, really good that your hog house is being used! Good luck with them all.

Hedgehog