Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog houses and highways. Reply To: Hedgehog houses and highways.

Nic

Hi 5sandown

Unfortunately I couldn’t get a very clear image of your profile pic. But, another possibility is a mother and slightly older hoglet who hasn’t completely cut the apron strings.

I used to have some females here – a lovely old hog who was with me for several years – sadly no longer here – and what I wondered might be two of her female offspring (strong similarities in colouring as well as their behaviour) although couldn’t prove that. They used to be quite happy to share bowls (and I mean quite small bowls – about 4 inches across) two at a time, which in my experience is unusual and I haven’t seen it since those hedgehogs ‘disappeared’. The old girl used to get very cross if any other adult female tried to share and mostly they didn’t dare try! When they had finished eating they went their separate ways, usually at different times.

But hoglets seem to love to share when feeding, either with other hoglets or with adults, which are not necessarily their parent.

You might never know the answer, for sure, so, as you say, just enjoy having them around. It would be interesting to see how long this arrangement continues.

p.s. Best not peak into boxes if they’re occupied – the hog might decide to move on if disturbed. But more importantly, if a female has recently given birth she could desert her babies. It seems possible if the nest is substantial, at this time of year, that it might be a birthing nest. I know it’s a great temptation!

Hedgehog