Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Another sad hedgehog story Reply To: Another sad hedgehog story

Nic

Hi simbo65

No little ones here, although I did catch sight once of one that looked like a smaller hog disappearing into the undergrowth, who could have been an early hoglet – but not seen again.

You have been doing your best and don’t be too downhearted. This is a time of year when there are often ‘missing’ hogs. Hopefully some will reappear.

I haven’t to my knowledge ever had any hoglets born in my garden, but usually some hoglets eventually ‘appear’ from somewhere. One year I had 12 of them – not all at once. As the first ones got bigger and disappeared, hopefully to hibernate, more smaller ones kept appearing. I suspect others may have given up feeding earlier than I did, so they all made their way here. Some had to be over-wintered in the end and not all of those survived, sadly. But there is quite a high mortality rate among very young hogs and there isn’t always anything we can do about it.

Fingers crossed for some returners.

Hedgehog