Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog ticks Reply To: Hedgehog ticks

Hi
Ticks are a big problem with the hogs that visit here.
We have now been taught how to remove them with the special tick instrument. It’s quite difficult to do as inevitably the hog will roll up. We found a good way to relax the hogs is to stroke the spines softly with a soft toothbrush. I do this whilst the other half does removal. We stop as soon as we think the hog is getting stressed.
If you do end up doing it yourself, have a jar ready with white spirit in. Drop the ticks into this. Put lid on and dispose! I would also do this outside and wear tight disposable gloves and keep well covered.
I have had conflicting views on how many ticks are too many but we would try and catch a hog that had 10 or more. Easier said than done.
Hope that helps a bit

Hedgehog